Sunday, June 19, 2011

10/22/2009 - Budget Cooking

We've been dabbling with creative cooking trying to use up the stuff in the pantry as much as possible before buying anything else.  The other day I made Peanut Pumpkin Soup for dinner.  It wasn't very good, but after you added some Mongolian Fire Oil to it, it wasn't bad.
I do a lot of cooking from scratch and make a lot of soups these days, sometimes from a recipe, sometimes from my own thoughts.  I made a wonderful potato cheese soup last week, too bad I didn't write down what I put in it!  Now if only I could find a really good recipe for baked Maccaroni and Cheese.  Not the velveeta kind, but the real cheese kind where the cheese gets all gooey and the top is crusty.  I have tried several but I haven't found the right one yet.
My favorite recipe site for lower cost meals right now is the Hillbilly Housewife.  Her "My Best Cornbread" recipe is a favorite with my kiddos.  And since I can't eat beef these days, we make her Lentil and Rice taco filling so I can still have a taco.  It's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment