Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Soaked Whole Wheat Flour Waffles

Our family is working toward a healthier lifestyle.  We are trying to incorporate more sunlight, more exercise, more fresh fruits and vegetables, healthier grains, lean proteins, healthier snacks, etc......

This morning I served my kids healthier waffles made from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook.  The response was not unexpected.  The wee one said "YUCK!"  The middle one said "Waffles are not supposed to taste like that", and the oldest simply asked me not to ever make them again.

The concepts in Nourishing Traditions include soaking your grains, legumes and flour to eliminate phytic acid and anti-nutrients.  I'm not sure how much I agree with it but it is supposed to make the whole grains easier to digest in your body, so I'm willing to give it a shot.  I don't however think it works for something like waffles.   After soaking the whole wheat flour overnight in buttermilk in a warm place, it is extremely sour.  After finishing the recipe and putting syrup on it, it's still sour.  So if you like your waffles the regular way, you're probably not going to like these.  My hubby might like it however, as he doesn't care for traditional waffles.  

So unless I find a soaked flour waffle recipe that isn't sour, we'll just go back to normal waffles!

1 comment: