Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lunch from scratch

In between grocery runs and looking for something to make for lunch today so I created a Blackeyed Pea soup. The kids only complaint, it didn't go far enough.  Everyone got one bowlful and it was gone.

My Blackeyed Pea Soup:
1 cup dried Blackeyed Peas, soaked overnight then drained and rinsed.
3 cups water
2 celery stalks with leaves chopped
1 carrot thinly sliced
1/4 cup diced ham
3/8 teaspoon ground thyme
1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
2 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 cup Israeli Couscous (from Costco)

Mix everything but the cous cous and simmer for one hour.  Add the cous cous and simmer for 10 minutes.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! I got about 4 spoonfulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I will make sure to give it a try after the pregnancy is over. Right now all kinds of things I usually like are tasting "off" and if I force it, I puke. I love black-eyed peas though and can't wait to get back to eating normally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I'll make more Dear so we don't eat it all!

    T - Won't be long now. Hope you have an easy delivery!

    ReplyDelete